I was interested in adding MySQL 5.0+ support to RelStorage, so I went ahead and did it. The code is in Subversion now.
The tests I’ve run suggest the MySQL adapter is already a lot faster than ZEO and both of the other adapters. The MySQL adapter has consistently finished the tests 40% faster than the PostgreSQL adapter. I haven’t tested PostgreSQL 8.3 yet; perhaps that will make a difference. I don’t know yet how the reliability of each adapter compares.
The port took all day. (My wife and I both have a cold, making it unwise to go to work today.) I didn’t think it would take that long, but I had to slow down to figure out the strange relationship between locks and transactions in MySQL. The LOCK TABLE statement is full of surprises! I ended up using GET_LOCK and RELEASE_LOCK and row-level locks instead.
So after editing queries to fit MySQL’s rules and fixing miscellaneous details, RelStorage now has a third database adapter. I’m excited to see what happens next. For one thing, MySQL support could have a major positive effect on Plone.
By the way, MySQLdb version 1.2.2 is required. Version 1.2.1 has a bug involving BLOBs; RelStorage depends heavily on BLOBs.